Huangyao Ancient Town
Facts of Huangyao Ancient Town
- Name: Huangyao Ancient Town/黄姚古镇/huáng yáo gǔ zhèn
- Open hours: 07:30-18:00
- Entrace fee: RMB70
- Tour time: 1 day from Yangshuo
- Where: Located to the southeast of Yangshuo, 130km, about a 2-hour drive.
In the low reaches of the Li River and northeast of Zhaoping County of Hezhou City in Guangxi, it lies Huangyao Ancient Town. Developed in the Song Dynasty, this ancient town covers an area of 3.6 square km. It features spectacular limestone karst hills in all directions, with various strange caves, crystal clear waters, bridges, tall old trees, pavilions, temples, and so on.
“Where there is a hill, there is water; where there is water, there is a bridge; where there is a bridge, there is a pavilion; where there is a pavilion, there is couplet; where there is a couplet, and there is a tablet.” The streets of the town are paved with green slab stones, making the road surface smooth and clear like a mirror. The architecture in the town is arranged according to the Nine-Palace and Eight-Diagram layouts used in war. All these characteristics form the unique aspects of Huangyao Ancient Town.
Huangyao Ancient Town has been listed as one of the 50 most worthy places to visit for tourists in China. With a history of about a thousand years, it has long been known as the “Dream Homestead.” Many cultural objects are well-preserved, including the calligraphy of Han Yu, who was a great calligraphist of the Song Dynasty.
Old bridges and flowing rivers integrate with each other perfectly there. Several peculiar peaks stand erect from the flat ground in the town, forming spectacular and charming valleys. The well-preserved pagodas, pavilions, and age-old trees add to the town’s beauty and historical value.
Besides, Huangyao is famous for its fermented soybeans and dried plum. Fermented soybeans were recognized as articles of tribute to the imperial court in the Qing Dynasty. Additionally, in the early 20th century, they were exported to Southeast Asian countries.
There are some restaurants in Huangyao Ancient Town that showcase local flavors. Tofu and stuffed tofu are highly recommended.
More Attractions in Yangshuo
- Beautiful Yulong River, where you can enjoy bamboo rafting by hand, and Mountain Retreat Hotel located
- Magic Moon Hill, where you can hike and rock climbing
- Charming West Street, the best place for leisure time
- Ancient Jiuxian Village, good to bike around
- Impression of Sister Sanjie Liu, magnificent natural landscape scenes
- Fuli Ancient Town where Banyan Tree Resort Located
- Xingping Ancient Town, the best section of the Li River you can enjoy
- Fishing Village in Xingping, where USD former president Bill Clinton visited
- Huangyao Ancient Town in Wuzhou
You may be interested in the following experiences
- Interesting Experiences and activities in Yangshuo that can be put into your trip!
- Selected travel itineraries in Yangshuo for your reference
- Transporation, how to get to Yangshuo
- Yangshuo local culture and festivals
- Customizable Guilin Tours
- Top Things to Do in Yangshuo
- Top attractions in Yangshuo
- Quick and time-saving to Customize a Guilin Trip
FABULOUS TOUR COMPANY
CHINA OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2019 We researched several companies and studied reviews on Trip Adviser before contacting who did a very China Culture Tour with an initial query. Right from the outset Grace who owns the company was excellent. She emailed detailed with pictures information and a suggested…read more details
Karen from US
Ready to Create a Unique Dream Travel?