Fishing Village in Xingping, Yangshuo
Along the bank of the Li River, Fishing Village is two kilometers away from Xingping County. It is the place where Sun Yat-sen (the first president of the Republic of China) visited in 1921 and also the former U.S. President Bill Clinton visited in 1998. With a history of more than 500 years, this Fishing Village was said to be a “land of wealth.” After the founding of the village in the Ming Dynasty, many people from the village succeeded in the highest imperial civil service examinations and became wealthy officials later.
Most of the buildings in the village maintain the Ming and Qing style and have been well-preserved throughout the years. Row upon row of unique grey bricks, black tiles, steep roofs, fire seals, cornices, carved beams, and windows with carved designs remain. About 48 traditional residences are lined along the Li River. A variety of mountains stand on the other side as a protection to the small village.
Among the mountains, there is the Tianshui (sky water) Stronghold which was a strategic site. It is surrounded by cliffs and can only be entered by walking through a narrow path. Two natural springs exist that appear to be endless. The villagers assume that the water comes from the sky, which is why the stronghold is called “Tianshui.” Dr. Sun Yat-sen spoke highly of the beautiful scenery when he set foot on Tianshui Stronghold.
When former U.S. President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Clinton visit the Fishing Village, they expressed their affection for this village because of its traditional Chinese style and its simple and genuine features.
More Attractions in Yangshuo
- Beautiful Yulong River, where you can enjoy bamboo rafting by hand, and Mountain Retreat Hotel located
- Magic Moon Hill, where you can hike and rock climbing
- Charming West Street, the best place for leisure time
- Ancient Jiuxian Village, good to bike around
- Impression of Sister Sanjie Liu, magnificent natural landscape scenes
- Fuli Ancient Town where Banyan Tree Resort Located
- Xingping Ancient Town, the best section of the Li River you can enjoy
- Fishing Village in Xingping, where USD former president Bill Clinton visited
- Huangyao Ancient Town in Wuzhou
You may be interested in the following experiences that can add to your Guilin tour:
- Interesting Experiences and activities in Yangshuo that can be put into your trip!
- Selected travel itineraries in Yangshuo for your reference
- Transporation, how to get to Yangshuo
- Yangshuo local culture and festivals
- Customizable Guilin Tours
- Top Things to Do in Yangshuo
- Top attractions in Yangshuo
- Quick and time-saving to Customize a Guilin Trip
FABULOUS TOUR COMPANY
CHINA OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2019 We researched several companies and studied reviews on Trip Adviser before contacting who did a very China Culture Tour with an initial query. Right from the outset Grace who owns the company was excellent. She emailed detailed with pictures information and a suggested…read more details
Karen from US
Ready to Create a Unique Dream Travel?