Best Suggested China Travel Itineraries
Suggested China Travel Itineraries & Tour Days
China is a large country with a diverse array of sights and experiences. Some popular destinations include Beijing, the capital, where you can visit historical sites such as the Forbidden City and the Great Wall; Shanghai, a cosmopolitan city known for its modern architecture and shopping; and Xi'an, home to the Terracotta Warriors. Other must-see destinations include the picturesque Yangtze River and the picturesque karst landscapes of Guilin and Yangshuo. When planning your itinerary, it's also important to consider the time of year you'll be visiting, as certain destinations may be more pleasant to visit during certain seasons.
5 Days China itinerary
Day 1: Beijing - Visit the Forbidden City, the nearby Tiananmen Square, the Temple of Heaven
Day 2: Beijing - Hike the Great Wall of China at Mutianyu or Badaling, visit the Summer Palace
Day 3: Beijing to Xi'an - Take a train to Xi'an, visit the Terracotta Warriors
Day 4: Xi'an to Shanghai - Explore the ancient city walls of Xi'an, visit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda
Day 5: Shanghai - visit the Bund, the old French Concession, a visit to the Shanghai Museum and departure
7 Days itinerary
Day 1: Beijing, Visit Tiananmen Square, and the Forbidden City, Hutongs, In the evening, watch a traditional Peking Opera show.
Day 2: Beijing, Visit the Great Wall of China, Stop by the Ming Tombs, In the evening, explore the vibrant Wangfujing Street.
Day 3: Beijing, Visit the Temple of Heaven, Take a rickshaw ride to explore the Summer Palace, In the evening, try some authentic Beijing cuisine, such as Peking duck.
Day 4: Xian, Visit the Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum, Walk or bike around the ancient City Wall, In the evening, enjoy the Tang Dynasty Music and Dance Show.
Day 5: Xian, Visit the Shaanxi History Museum, Explore the Muslim Quarter, In the evening, stroll around the South Gate Square, a popular hangout spot for locals and tourists alike.
Day 6: Shanghai, Visit the Bund, Visit the Shanghai Tower, In the evening, take a Huangpu River cruise to see the illuminated skyline and the famous Oriental Pearl Tower.
Day 7: Shanghai, Visit the Yuyuan Garden, Walk around the French Concession, In the evening, watch an acrobatics show, which showcases incredible feats of strength, agility, and balance.
Mor 7 days China itineraries >> or a Beijing Xian and Shanghai itinerary >>
10 Days itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Beijing
Day 2: Visit the Great Wall of China
Day 3: Explore the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square
Day 4: Travel to Xi'an and visit the Terracotta Warriors
Day 5: Tour Xi'an's city wall and Muslim Quarter
Day 6: Fly to Shanghai and explore the Bund and Yu Garden
Day 7: Visit the Shanghai Museum and French Concession
Day 8: Day trip to Suzhou and its classical gardens
Day 9: See the modern side of Shanghai with a visit to Lujiazui and Pudong
Day 10: Depart from Shanghai
More 10 Days China itineraries >>
2 weeks China itinerary
Beijing Xian Chengdu Guilin and Hong Kong
Beijing (4 days)
- Visit the Forbidden City, the former imperial palace of China's emperors
- Explore the Temple of Heaven, a complex of religious buildings used by emperors for annual ceremonies
- Climb the Great Wall of China, one of the world's most iconic landmarks
- Wander around Tiananmen Square, the world's largest public square
- Take a rickshaw tour of Beijing's hutongs (narrow alleys), which provide a glimpse into traditional Chinese life
- Sample Peking duck, a famous dish in Beijing's culinary scene
Xian (2 days)
- Visit the Terracotta Warriors, an army of over 8,000 clay soldiers that were buried with China's first emperor
- Walk or cycle along the top of Xian's ancient city walls
- Explore the Muslim Quarter, a vibrant area known for its food and markets
Chengdu (3 days)
- Visit the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding to see these adorable creatures up close
- Wander through People's Park, which is home to a tea house, a lake, and several pavilions
- Take a trip to Leshan Giant Buddha, the largest stone Buddha statue in the world
- Try hotpot, a famous Sichuanese dish that involves dipping various meats and vegetables into a spicy broth
Guilin (3 days)
- Take a cruise down the Li River to enjoy the stunning scenery of karst mountains and rice paddies
- Visit Reed Flute Cave, a stunning underground cavern filled with stalactites and stalagmites
- Explore Yangshuo, a charming town with a lively bar scene and lots of outdoor activities, like rock climbing and cycling
Hong Kong (2 days)
- Take a ride up to Victoria Peak for incredible views of the city skyline
- Visit Hong Kong Disneyland for a day of fun and entertainment
- Explore the vibrant neighborhoods of Central, Causeway Bay, and Tsim Sha Tsui
- Take a ferry ride to one of Hong Kong's outlying islands, like Lantau or Cheung Chau, for a change of pace
More 2 weeks China itineraries >>
3 Weeks itinerary
Beijing Inner Mongolia Gansu Xian and Shanghai
Beijing (4 days)
- Visit the Great Wall of China. There are several sections of the wall that are accessible from Beijing, but the most popular are Badaling and Mutianyu.
- Explore the Forbidden City, which was the imperial palace of the Ming and Qing dynasties.
- Check out the Temple of Heaven, which is a complex of religious buildings that was used by emperors for annual ceremonies to pray for good harvests.
- Wander through the hutongs, which are traditional narrow alleys that are characteristic of Beijing.
- Take in the sights and sounds of Tiananmen Square, which is one of the largest public squares in the world.
Inner Mongolia (6 days)
- Visit the grasslands of Inner Mongolia and stay in a yurt for a unique cultural experience.
- Explore the Xilamuren Grassland, which is one of the most popular grassland areas in Inner Mongolia.
- Visit the Genghis Khan Mausoleum, which is a tomb complex that honors the legendary Mongol leader.
- Check out the Hohhot Mosque, which is a historic mosque that dates back to the Qing dynasty.
- Take a hot air balloon ride over the grasslands for a unique perspective.
Gansu (5 days)
- Visit the Mogao Caves, which are a series of Buddhist cave temples that are filled with elaborate paintings and sculptures.
- Hike the Yellow River Stone Forest, which is a natural formation that looks like a forest made of stone.
- Explore the Jiayuguan Fort, which was an important military outpost during the Ming dynasty.
- Check out the Mingsha Mountain and Crescent Moon Spring, which is a scenic area that includes a desert landscape and a small oasis.
- Visit the Labrang Monastery, which is one of the largest Tibetan Buddhist monasteries outside of Tibet.
Xi'an (3 days)
- See the Terracotta Warriors, which are a collection of life-sized clay soldiers that were buried with the first emperor of China.
- Visit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, which is a Buddhist pagoda that was built during the Tang dynasty.
- Take a bike ride along the ancient city wall, which is one of the best-preserved city walls in China.
- Explore the Muslim Quarter, which is a vibrant area filled with food stalls, shops, and historic buildings.
- Check out the Shaanxi History Museum, which showcases artifacts from the region's rich history.
Shanghai (3 days)
- Take a stroll along the Bund, which is a scenic waterfront promenade that offers views of the city skyline.
- Visit the Yu Garden, which is a traditional Chinese garden that dates back to the Ming dynasty.
- Check out the Shanghai Museum, which showcases ancient Chinese art and artifacts.
- Take a trip to the top of the Shanghai Tower, which is the tallest building in China.
- Explore the French Concession, which is a historic neighborhood that has retained much of its colonial-era charm.
4 weeks Itinerary
Beijing Xian Sichuan Yunnan Guilin and Hong Kong
Beijing (5 days)
- Visit the Great Wall of China, one of the world's most famous landmarks
- Explore the Forbidden City, a vast imperial palace that was home to Chinese emperors for centuries
- Stroll through the beautiful Summer Palace, a sprawling park and palace complex that served as a retreat for the imperial court
- Take a walk through the hutongs, traditional alleyways that offer a glimpse into daily life in old Beijing
- Visit the Temple of Heaven, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a masterpiece of Chinese architecture
- Experience traditional Chinese performing arts, such as Peking opera, acrobatics, and martial arts.
Xi'an (2 days)
- See the Terracotta Army, a collection of over 8,000 life-size terracotta figures that were buried with the first emperor of China
- Explore the ancient city walls of Xi'an, which date back over 1,300 years
- Visit the Shaanxi History Museum, which showcases the rich history and culture of the region
- Sample some of Xi'an's famous cuisine, including roujiamo (Chinese hamburger), biangbiang noodles, and yangrou paomo (lamb stew with bread).
Sichuan (6 days)
- Visit the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, where you can see adorable pandas up close
- Explore the stunning Jiuzhaigou National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its crystal-clear lakes and waterfalls
- Taste the spicy and flavorful Sichuan cuisine, which is famous throughout China
- Take a dip in the natural hot springs of Emei Mountain
- Visit the Leshan Giant Buddha, a massive stone statue that stands over 70 meters tall
- Enjoy the breathtaking scenery of Mount Siguniang, one of China's most beautiful mountain ranges.
Yunnan (7 days)
- Explore the ancient town of Lijiang, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its traditional architecture and winding canals
- Take a scenic cruise down the Yangtze River through the Three Gorges
- Visit the Tiger Leaping Gorge, one of the deepest gorges in the world
- Experience the unique culture of the Bai people in Dali, another historic town in Yunnan
- Take a hike through the stunning Shangri-La National Park, known for its snow-capped mountains and alpine meadows.
Guilin (5 days)
- Take a cruise down the Li River, one of China's most scenic waterways
- Visit the Reed Flute Cave, a natural limestone cave with stunning rock formations
- Explore the ancient town of Yangshuo, which is surrounded by breathtaking karst mountains
- Take a bike ride through the picturesque countryside around Guilin
- Climb the Xianggong Mountain to see a panoramic view of the Li River and karst landscape.
Hong Kong (3 days)
- Take a ride on the Peak Tram to see the stunning skyline of Hong Kong
- Visit the Big Buddha on Lantau Island, one of the largest Buddha statues in the world
- Explore the bustling streets of Central and Causeway Bay, two of Hong Kong's busiest shopping districts
- Take a scenic ferry ride across Victoria Harbour
- Sample some of Hong Kong's famous street food, including egg tarts, siu mai, and fish balls.
4 weeks China itineraries and 1 month China itinearies, you may interested in a 60 days China itinerary >>
If the above routes are not your cup of tea, then contact us to customize your China tour itinerary accordig to your travel interests and requests >>
FABULOUS TOUR COMPANY
CHINA OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2019 We researched several companies and studied reviews on Trip Adviser before contacting who did a very China Culture Tour with an initial query. Right from the outset Grace who owns the company was excellent. She emailed detailed with pictures information and a suggested…read more details
Karen from US
Ready to Create a Unique Dream Travel?