With an elevation of 545 meters, Victoria Peak is the highest point, located in the northwest region of Hong Kong Island. It is not only an exclusive residential district but the most famous and popular tourist resort in HK where you can overlook the harbor and city view.
Walking on the peak, you can appreciate the skyscrapers and beautiful green hills. Looking around Lugard Road, you can take in the entire harbor. The Lion Pavilion, the Peak Galleria, and Sky Terrace all have amazing scenery that you should take advantage of seeing.
Taking a Peak Tram to the Peak overlooking Victoria Harbor is an unforgettable experience. The Peak Tram carried by cable wires goes up slopes as high as 373 meters (about 1,200 feet). It is an amazing view from this distance. This is something you won’t want to miss.
In 1796 BC and 1820 BC, when Zhang Baozai, a pirate, was stationed in the western military camp and east camp at the foot of the Peak and used the hill to prepare for war. Once he observed merchant ships passing by, he would wound inform the military camps to hijack the ship.
In 1842, HK was colonized and governed by the British. They hung the Union Jack to declare the sovereignty of HK. Later, a British named John Gardiner Austin who served as Colonial Secretary of HK (May 7, 1868, to April 4, 1878) renamed the peak as his name. Later, he quoted the name of Queen Victoria and gave the peak the name “Victoria Peak” which is still widely used today.
On the peak, there are many facilities for tourists to take in Victoria Harbor and Kowloon. The night view of HK’s skyline is known worldwide as one of the most beautiful. The Lion Pavilion and the open Victoria Peak Garden and Peak Galleria are ideal places to visit especially when the sun is setting. Additionally, if you enjoy hiking, you should check out the HONG Kong Trail. The newly-built Peak Tower has also become a new attraction for visitors.
The Peak Tower has been shaped into a bowl, allowing you to sightsee, relax, shop, and eat delicious foods. Standing on the top floor of the Peak Tower on the Sky Terrace, you can have a bird’s-eye view of Hong Kong including many skyscrapers in Wanchai, Tsim Sha Tsui, and Victoria Harbor.
Not only is the Peak Tower a beautiful sight, but it is also perfectly located. At the highest point of the Peak Tower at a 428-meter elevation, you will be intoxicated by the amazing scenery.
Visitors can take the Peak Tram to climb the 380-meter hill. Since their initial introduction in 1888, Peak Tram has always been the safest transportation method. At 4 meters long, it only takes about 8 minutes to get to your destination. The business hours are from 7 am to midnight and they run every 10 - 15 minutes.
- 1. The most popular way to get to the peak is by taking the Peak Tram. It only costs about HK$ 37 and takes 8 minutes one way.
- 2. By no. 1 special minibus west of the assembly hall.
- 3. By no. 15 double-deck bus at the bus terminal in Trade Square.
- 4. By no. 1 green bus in the public transport interchange at HK station of the MTR.
- 5. By cable car at the terminal in Central (Garden Road) or take the 15C bus outside 6 Central piers or set out on foot from the J2 exit of Central station.
You might also like the following helpful information about Hong Kong
- When is the best time or season to visit Hong Kong
- Top attractions you might like in Hong Kong
- Choose your food and restaurants while traveling in Hong Kong
- Do not know where to stay? Visit the best hotels in Hong Kong
- To know more about Hong Kong, visit its culture
- What to buy and where to shop in Hong Kong?
- Enjoy an interesting and colorful nightlife
- Effiently tour around by learning the transportation
- Bank and currency, help you save money
FABULOUS TOUR COMPANY
CHINA OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2019 We researched several companies and studied reviews on Trip Adviser before contacting who did a very China Culture Tour with an initial query. Right from the outset Grace who owns the company was excellent. She emailed detailed with pictures information and a suggested…read more details
Karen from US
Ready to Create a Unique Dream Travel?