Xiamen Travel Guide
Xiamen, also known as Amoy, is a coastal city located in Fujian province, China. It is known for its beautiful beaches, historic buildings, and traditional culture. Xiamen Island, which is connected to the mainland by a bridge, is the city's main tourist area and features popular attractions such as Gulangyu Island, South Putuo Temple, and the Xiamen Botanical Garden. The city also has a rich history and is home to many historical sites such as the Xiamen Museum and the Xiamen Kaituo. Additionally, Xiamen is famous for its delicious seafood and local specialties such as "Xiamen-style" fried rice and "Xiamen-style" wonton. It is a great destination for those looking to experience a blend of natural beauty, history, and local culture.
Top attractions, what to do
It is known for its scenic beauty and historical significance. Some popular attractions in Xiamen include:
Gulangyu Island: A UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its well-preserved colonial architecture and beautiful beaches.
Xiamen University: A prestigious university with beautiful traditional Chinese gardens and a large collection of historical artifacts.
South Putuo Temple: A Buddhist temple dating back to the Tang Dynasty, known for its intricate carvings and sculptures.
Huian Old Street: A historic street lined with traditional Chinese architecture, including clan houses and temples.
Xiamen Botanic Garden: A beautiful botanical garden with a wide variety of plants from around the world.
Wanshi Botanic Garden: A botanical garden with a wide variety of plants from Southeast Asia, including orchids and bonsai.
Xiamen Island Ring Road: A scenic drive that circles the island and offers beautiful views of the coast and mountains.
Xiamen Museum : A museum which showcase the history, culture and art of Xiamen.
Hotels, where to stay in Xiamen
Top 3 hotels in Xiamen
- W Xiamen: A modern luxury hotel with stylish rooms and suites, several on-site dining options, a fitness center, an outdoor pool, and a range of recreational facilities.
- JW Marriott Xiamen: A luxurious hotel with spacious rooms and suites, several on-site dining options, a spa, a fitness center, and an outdoor pool.
- St. Regis Xiamen: A stylish hotel with luxurious rooms and suites, several on-site dining options, a spa, a fitness center, and an indoor pool.
Top 2 hotels in Gulangyu Island
- Haoyue Gulangyu Hotel: A stylish hotel with comfortable rooms and suites, an on-site restaurant, and a range of recreational facilities.
- Gulangyu Island Xinyang Sea-view Hotel: A comfortable hotel with spacious rooms and suites, several on-site dining options, and a range of recreational facilities, including an indoor pool.
These hotels offer luxurious accommodations, excellent service, and a range of facilities and amenities, making them excellent choices for travelers looking for a comfortable and memorable stay in Xiamen and Gulangyu Island.
Food and restaurants, what and where to eat
The local cuisine is known for its seafood and traditional Fujian dishes. Some popular Xiamen dishes include fish balls, fried oysters, and stir-fried clams. The city is also famous for its "Xiamen-style" fried rice, which is made with shrimp, chicken, and various vegetables. Another must-try dish in Xiamen is the "Xiamen-style" beef noodle soup, which is made with a spicy broth and tender beef slices. Additionally, Xiamen is known for its traditional snacks such as "peanut candy" and "shacha" (a spicy seafood sauce).
Xiamen is a city known for its delicious seafood and local cuisine. Here are some of the top local restaurants in Xiamen to consider during your visit:
- Laiyuan Seafood Restaurant: This restaurant is famous for its fresh and tasty seafood dishes, including seafood hot pots and stir-fried dishes.
- Laozhengxing Steamed Rice Shop: This is a local favorite that specializes in steamed rice dishes made with a variety of ingredients, including seafood, meat, and vegetables.
- Maomaochong Teahouse: This teahouse is known for its traditional tea culture, local snacks, and classic Xiamen dishes, including fried oysters and rice cakes.
- Xiamen Guotai Snacks: This is a popular street food vendor that offers a range of local snacks, including rice cakes, fried noodles, and dumplings.
- Hongqi Guanhualou Restaurant: This is a well-regarded restaurant that specializes in traditional Fujian cuisine, including dishes like braised pork and fish ball soup.
These restaurants offer a taste of the local cuisine and are popular among locals and tourists alike. Be sure to arrive early, as they can be busy during peak hours.
Weather, the best time to visit Xiamen
The best time to visit Xiamen and Gulangyu Island is from September to November, when the weather is mild and dry with comfortable temperatures, clear skies, and little rainfall. During this time, visitors can enjoy outdoor activities and explore the city's many attractions without worrying about the heat and humidity of the summer months or the cold and rain of the winter months. Additionally, the autumn foliage and colorful landscapes make for stunning scenic views, making it the ideal time for photography enthusiasts.
FABULOUS TOUR COMPANY
CHINA OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2019 We researched several companies and studied reviews on Trip Adviser before contacting who did a very China Culture Tour with an initial query. Right from the outset Grace who owns the company was excellent. She emailed detailed with pictures information and a suggested…read more details
Karen from US
Ready to Create a Unique Dream Travel?