Great Wall Hiking Adventure
A more natural way to experience the Great Wall fully is to measure it with your own feet, step by step. In 6 days you will not only hike along the well-constructed sections but also the less touristy and remote ones. Staying overnight by the foot of the Wall allows you to enjoy the mountain views bathed by mist in the morning and evening.
6-8 Days Beijing Tour Package: Great Wall Hiking Adventure
Day 1: Arrive in Beijing. After hotel check-in, rest for the day and get ready for the hike on the following day.
Hotels recommended: Beijing luxury hotels - Aman at Summer Palace, St. Regis, Fairmont, Peninsula, Hilton Beijing Wangfujing or similar; Boutique hotels – Hotel G Beijing, The Opposite House, Han’s Royal Garden, Cote Cour Boutique Hotel, Red wall Garden Courtyard Hotel or similar
Day 2: Drive for about an hour to Badaling Great Wall, the most well-restored and earliest open section. Hike along the mountain ridge and then back to the starting point for two to three hours. After lunch, hike around and enjoy the Great wall sunset. Stay overnight at the Commune by Great Wall, a luxury boutique hotel.
- * Badaling Great Wall is very crowded, especially in weekend, holidays.
Day 3: Drive about 2 hours to Mutianyu Great Wall, a less crowded section with large vegetation coverage, hike up to the highest point in about two hours, enjoy a picnic or lunch at a local famer's; continue hiking on Jiankou Great Wall which is a ticket-free wild section. Trace your steps back to the starting point and head for Jinshanling Great Wall. The ride takes about 1.5 hours. Stay overnight at a guesthouse or you can camp out.
- * Do the hiking in the early morning, just hike slow because it is not all-day hiking, rest in the noon, enjoy the sunset after 5 or 6pm or later.
Day 4: After breakfast, walk up on Jinshanling Great Wall for a 4-hour hike through Simatai Great Wall. Obstacle walls, scripted bricks and horse stones could be seen along the way. The Simatai Great Wall is not continuous and be aware of some shaky bricks. After lunch, enjoy the sunset of Simatai Great Wall, stay overnight at a guesthouse or you may choose to camp out.
- * Pack up all your belongings and check out the hotel, you will head for the airport after the sightseeing.
Day 5: Today's hike will present the evolution of Great Wall from Gubeikou to Jinshanling. The hike starts from Panlongshan Great Wall in Gubeikou, a dirt road leads up to the Wall which can be seen as plain earth. You will pass villages, farmlands and wind your way up the back to the Wall. It takes about 3 hours to cover the distance. After a late lunch, take a good rest and the night time is for star gazing on Jinshanling Great Wall. A glass of beer or champagne is good to celebrate the end of the Great Wall hiking.
Day 6: Drive back to your hotel or to airport for your next destination.
- * Facility in a guesthouse is simple without an air conditioner and with a Chinese style bath room.
- * Safe camping can be done in a hotel courtyard.
- * No pollution can be left during your hiking tour.
- * If you do not have any tents, etc. we can arrange them for you if you choose camping.
- * A small backpack for necessary stuffs when hiking, the rest of your luggage can be left in the vehicle.
- * Bring comfort hiking shoes (high), thick Sweat socks, quick dry clothing, soft Sweat towel, alpenstock, sunglasses, Sunblock, some cash, knife, lighting apparatus, an outdoor watch, toiletries, etc.
- * Some medicines for Diarrhea, mosquito, cold, trauma, heatstroke prevention, Band-Aid, etc.
- * Have enough food before hiking; bring enough water with some salt and some candy or chocolate, solid food, etc.
Note: The Great Wall Hiking Adventure tour itinerary mentioned above is only a sample; we can customize this tour to meet your requests.