Wuhou Ancestral Hall
Wuhou Ancestral Hall, located on the west side of Chengdu City, is a famous cultural shrine of Three Kingdoms at home and abroad. It is the most prestigious memorial site for Zhuge Liang and Liu Bei in the country and the only temple where monarchs and ministers are worshipped together. It is also the most influential relics museum of Three Kingdoms in the country.
Wuhou Ancestral Hall was built in AD 223 and is now mainly composed of four parts: Zhaolie Hall, Zhuge Liang Hall (Wuhou Ancestral Hall), Sanyi Hall and Hui Tomb. Because Zhuge Liang has more influence than Liu Bei in the minds of the common people, it is customary to call it "Wuhou Ancestral Hall ". There are about 50 statues of Shuhan heroes such as Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang in the monastery.
What to see
Zhuge Liang (181-234AD) , also known as Kong Ming, the prime minister of Shu Han, was an outstanding statesman, strategist, writer, diplomat and inventor during the Three Kingdoms period. His representative works include ‘Former Northern Expedition Memorial’, ‘Latter Northern Expedition Memorial’ and ‘Book of Commandments’, etc. He also invented wooden cows and horses (transportation tools), Kongming lanterns, etc.
Zhaolie Hall: That is, Liu Bei Hall. Emperor Zhaolie was the posthumous title of Liu Bei after his death. There is a tall sitting statue of Liu Bei in the center of the main hall, and this statue is the tallest in the entire Hall. On both sides of the hall, there are statues of Guan Yu and his son and Zhou Cang in the east, and three generations of Zhang Fei in the west.
Zhuge Liang Hall (Wuhou Ancestral Hall): It is the main place to commemorate Zhuge Liang, so there are many inscriptions, plaques and couplets of famous people in the past dynasties. The statues of Zhuge Liang, his son and grandson are enshrined in the hall, which are all more than 2 meters in height.
Sanyi Hall: It was built to commemorate the ‘Peach Garden Oath’ of Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei during the Three Kingdoms period. Now it is a courtyard house, consisting of the worship hall, the main hall and the corridors on both sides. There are statues of Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei in the hall.
Hui Tomb: Located on the west side of Wuhou Ancestral Hall, it is the co-burial mausoleum of Liu Bei and his two wives, and is the only preserved imperial mausoleum during the Three Kingdoms period. Hui Tomb has a history of more than 1,700 years and is very well preserved, never been stolen or excavated. The "green shadow red wall" hidden in the green bamboo forest is here, and it is now a popular place for taking pictures.
How to tour
- Essence walking tour route: Main Entrance - Zhaolie Hall- Zhuge Liang Hall - Sanyi Hall - Hui Tomb - Red Wall Road - Main Entrance
Half/One day tour suggestion
- Half Day Tour: Wuhou Ancestral Hall + Jinli Ancient Street + Shufengyayun Sichuan Opera Theater
- One Day Tour: Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding and Research Center + Wuhou Ancestral Hall + Jinli Ancient Street
If there is no suitable tour for you, contact us and create your own Chengdu tour!
How to get to
- Bus: Take bus No. 1, 57, 82, 334, 335, 8, 21
- Railway: Take metro Line 3, get off at Gaoshengqiao Station, get out from Exit D, and then walk for 980 meters.
- Admission Ticket: RMB50
- Half-price Ticket: Juvenile between 6 and 18 years old
- Free Ticket: Children younger than 6 years old or under 1.3 meters in height; seniors over 60 years old
- Where: No. 231, Wuhou Ancestral Hall Street, Wuhou District, Chengdu City, Sichuan Province
- Tel: 028-85535951
- When is it opened: May to October: 8:00-20:00 (Ticket sales stop at 19:00); November to April: 8:00-18:30 (Ticket sales stop at 17:30)
- Recommended Time: 1 to 2 hours
- Recommended Seasons: All seasons
Recommended restaurants nearby
- Taolin Restaurant (Wuhouci branch) (Sichuan cuisine average cost: RMB85 pp): Add: 2nd Floor, Xingmu Building, No. 3 Wuhouci Street, Wuhou District, Chengdu. Tel: 028- 85250252
- Damiao Hotpot (Jinli branch) (hotpot; average cost: RMB150 pp): Add: No. 13, Wuyi Lane, Jinli Phase II, No. 231, Wuhouci Street, Chengdu. Tel: 028-85591111
- Sanguyuan (Jinli branch) (Sichuan cuisine; average cost: RMB60 pp): Add: Inside Jinli Ancient Street, No. 231, Wuhouci Street, Wuhou District. Tel: 028-66311388
Recommended hotels nearby
- Jinli Atour Light Hotel: Add: No. 113, Wuhouci Street, Wuhou District, Chengdu. Tel: 028-86055878
- Chuan Jia Courtyard Hotel: Add: No.11, Wuhouci Street, Wuhou District, Chengdu, Sichuan. Tel: 028-85587898
- Sichuan Jinjiang Hotel: Add: No. 80-1, Section 2, Renmin South Road, Jinjiang District, Chengdu. Tel: 028-85506666
- Jinli Ancient Street: 50m
- People's Park: 1.6km
- Qingyang Palace: 2km
FABULOUS TOUR COMPANY
CHINA OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2019 We researched several companies and studied reviews on Trip Adviser before contacting who did a very China Culture Tour with an initial query. Right from the outset Grace who owns the company was excellent. She emailed detailed with pictures information and a suggested…read more details
Karen from US
Ready to Create a Unique Dream Travel?