Chengdu Panda Breeding and Research Center
Chengdu Panda Breeding and Research Center, established in 1987, is located 10 kilometers northeast of Chengdu. It is a base that integrates giant panda protection, scientific research, education and tourism and famous for the protection and breeding of China's endangered wild animals such as giant pandas and red pandas.
Covering an area of 1,500 mus, the base stimulates the wild living environment of giant pandas by establishing lakes, streams, bamboo forests, lawns, etc. It raises more than 100 giant pandas and is the largest giant panda breeding base in the world. In addition to the national treasure giant panda, there are red pandas, black-necked cranes, swans, peacocks, white storks and other animals in the base.
What are the interesting giant panda facts
- Giant pandas have lived on the earth for at least 8 million years and are known as "living fossils" and "China's national treasures". It is an international first-class protected animal and is the image ambassador of the World Wildlife Fund. There are only 1,864 wild giant pandas in the world, of which more than 80% are distributed in Sichuan.
- Giant pandas are solitary animals. The lifespan of giant pandas in the wild is generally 18-20 years old. In captivity, due to good feeding management and medical treatment, some can be over 30 years old.
- 99% of the food of giant pandas is bamboo, and there are more than 60 kinds of bamboo plants that can be eaten by giant pandas. In addition, wild giant pandas occasionally eat some animal carcasses or other plants.
- July to September is the calving period for giant pandas. If you visit the giant panda base between August and December, it is possible to see the newly born giant panda cubs in the moon delivery room.
How the giant pandas grow up
- Newborn: Newborn panda cubs weigh only one-thousandth of their mother's weight, with an average weight of only about 120 grams. The lightest is 51 grams and the heaviest is 225 grams. There are white hairs on the pink skin. Their eyes, years and immune system are not fully developed.
- One to two weeks: Gradual darkening of shoulder straps, limbs and ears
- One month: Black and white hairs begin to grow and become more like the mother panda. The weight is about 1 – 2 kg. Still cannot walk.
- Six to eight weeks: Be able to open eyes.
- Three months: Can crawl slowly
- Half year old: Can walk freely and learn to eat bamboo
- One year old: permanent teeth begin to grow
- One and half year old: Leave mother panda and live independently
- Sub-adult: It is a sub-adult stage from one and a half year old to sexual maturity, which is equivalent to the adolescent period of human beings. At this stage, the food of giant pandas gradually transitioned from milk-based to bamboo-based. They become physiologically and psychologically mature and are able to start breeding offspring. Giant pandas are most active between the ages of 1 and 3. In addition to foraging, they spend most of their time playing, exploring and climbing trees.
- Adult: The body length is about 160-180cm and weight is about 80-150kg
No hugging and taking pictures of pandas since 2018
Starting from November 2018, Chengdu Panda Breeding Research Center will no longer provide the service of hugging and taking pictures of pandas, and the restart time is unknown. The service of hugging and taking pictures of pandas is also no longer available in all 4 panda bases in Sichuan (Chengdu Panda Breeding Research Center, Dujiangyan Panda Base, Bifengxia Panda Base and Wolong Panda Base). The restart time is also unknown. If you want to participate in the panda volunteer program (including cleaning the enclosure, preparing panda meals and feeding pandas, etc.), you can go to Dujiangyan, Wolong or Bifengxia Panda Base.
- China Giant Panda Conservation and Research Center Dujiangyan Base: about 60 to 80 minutes’ drive one way from Chengdu
- Wolong Panda Base: 2 hours’ drive one way from Chengdu
- Bifengxia Panda Base: 3 hours’ drive one way from Chengdu
The Chengdu Giant Panda Museum, a giant panda-themed museum with interactive experience built by Chengdu Panda Breeding Research Center was officially opened on March 3, 2021. The entire museum has seven exhibition areas. Through interactive experience, scene restoration and immersive tours, the public can learn about the living conditions of rare animals such as giant pandas while visiting and entertaining, thus stimulating their awareness of environment and animal protection.
How to tour
- Suggested routes for essential tours: Main entrance - Giant Panda Moon Delivery Room (see panda cubs) - Juvenile Panda Villa - No.1 Villa - No.2 Villa - Giant Panda Sun Delivery Room - red panda habitat - Swan Lake - Panda Gallery - Panda Science Discovery Hall - Giant Panda Museum - Buy some souvenirs at the Panda Post Office at the main entrance
- Three hours’ in-depth tour: Main entrance - Swan Lake - Sub-adult Panda Villa - Adult Panda Villa - Juvenile Panda Villa - Giant Panda Sun Delivery Room - No.2 Activity Field for Red Pandas - Red Panda Delivery Room - No.1 Activity Field for Red Pandas - Giant Panda Charm Theater - No.14 Giant Panda House - Panda Science Discovery Hall - Giant Panda Museum - Main Entrance
One day tour suggestion
- One Day Tour: Chengdu Panda Breeding and Research Center + Jinli Ancient Street+ Opera face changing show
- One Day Tour: Chengdu Panda Breeding and Research Center + Thatched Cottage of Du Fu + Sichuan cuisine tasting at Kuanzhai Alley
Giant Panda Experience Tour: One day Panda Volunteer Tour, 5 days Panda Volunteer Tour or contact us and create your own Chengdu tour.
How to get to
Bus: Take bus No. 87, 198, 198a, 655, 867 and get off at Panda Base Station.
Railway: Take Metro Line 3 to Panda Avenue Station and get off at Exit A, then transfer to bus No. 198 or 198a to Panda Base Station.
Shuttle Bus for Scenic areas:
- Panda Direct Bus: drive between Chunxi Road and Chengdu Panda Breeding Research Center. Stops: Chunxi Road Station, Kuanzhai Lane Station, Panda Base Station. Operation Hours: 8:30-16:00. The average interval between shifts is 20 minutes.
- Panda Express Line 1: Start from Jinsha Bus Station to panda base, via Shuhan Crossing North Station, Yingmenkou North Station, Southwest Jiaotong University Station, Shangmao Dadaokou Station, North Railway Station and East Station, etc.
- Panda Express Line 2: Start from Jinsha Bus Station to panda base, via Qingshuihe Station, Shaoling Crossing Station, Hongpailou East Station, Kehua Crossing Station, Donghu Park Station, Shuangziqiao South Station and Shuangziqiao North Station.
- Customized bus D025 to panda base: Starting from Panda Avenue Stationby metro Line 3, go through Panda Avenue to Panda Base without stopping on the way. Operation Hours: 8:30-16:30; The average interval between shifts is 20 minutes.
- Admission Ticket: RMB55; Sightseeing Bus: RMB10
- Half-Price Ticket: RMB27. 6 to 18 years old; 60 to 65 years old
- Free Ticket: Child under 6 years old or length less than 1.3m; seniors over 65 years old
- Where: No. 1375 Panda Avenue, Chenghua District, Chengdu, Sichuan Province
- When is it opened: 07:30-18:00, Ticket sales stop at 17:00. Only the Giant Panda Museum in the scenic area is closed on Mondays.
- Tel: 028-83510033
- Recommended time: 3 to 4 hours. 2.5 hours is needed if taking the sightseeing bus.
- Recommended Seasons: All year round. Note that it is quite hot in summer when the pandas spend less time outside.
- There is a feeding session from 9:00-11:00 in the morning, when pandas are the most active. After 11 o'clock, the panda's activity decreases, and it is hard to see how cute they are.
- It costs RMB10 per person for the sightseeing bus in the scenic area. You can take it back and forth and get on and off at any stop. It saves your time and energy.
- Giant pandas live in dense bamboo forests with an altitude of 2600-3500 meters, where the annual temperature is lower than 20 ℃. They like coldness and hate heat. When the weather is cool, pandas spends more time outdoors. When the temperature rises above 26°C, giant pandas like to escape the heat indoors. When hot summer comes, you can visit the indoor visiting spots, like Giant Panda Moon Delivery Room, No.1 and No.2 Villa for Giant Panda, Giant Panda Sun Delivery Room, and Juvenile Panda Villa if you do not see the giant pandas outdoors. Or you can consult the nearest staff.
- There is a Giant Panda Museum near the gate of the panda base, where postcards with panda postmarks can be sent at the Panda Post Office, and documentaries about pandas can be watched at the cinema.
- Do not slap on the glass, throw rubbish into the panda enclosures, make loud noise or feed food when visiting the pandas. When taking pictures, do not turn on the flash. Giant pandas have sensitive hearing, so too much noise can make them uncomfortable, and flashing lights can hurt their eyes, especially the eyes of panda cubs.
Restaurants in the panda base
- Zhuyun Restaurant: It is located at the southeast of the Swan Lake and can accommodate more than 200 people at the same time. The interior decoration, dishes and tableware all reflect the giant panda culture. Tel: 13518114213, 15982212581
- Rose Garden Western Restaurant: Located at the east bank of Swan Lake, it has beautiful environment and can accommodate more than 200 people at the same time. Specialties: coffee, light meals and pastries.
- Panda Time Café: Located next to the Giant Panda Charm Theater, it covers an indoor area of more than 130 square meters and can accommodate more than 80 people at the same time. Specialties: coffee, drinks, pastries.
- Pange Dinning Bar: Located beside Swan Lake, it can accommodate more than 100 people at the same time. The surroundings of it are shady and peaceful. Specialties: Spaghetti Bolognese, Taiwanese Braised Pork Rice, Coffee.
Recommended hotels nearby
Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden: Add: Poly Park 198, No.1980 Shulong Avenue, Xindu District, Chengdu. Tel: 028-61798888
FABULOUS TOUR COMPANY
CHINA OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2019 We researched several companies and studied reviews on Trip Adviser before contacting who did a very China Culture Tour with an initial query. Right from the outset Grace who owns the company was excellent. She emailed detailed with pictures information and a suggested…read more details
Karen from US
Ready to Create a Unique Dream Travel?